Last week we learned of a new hybrid event that Spartan Race was presenting this weekend in Tahoe. We called it the OCR/Crossfit Tahoe Throwdown Challenge. It’s actual name is “The Faceoff presented by FitAid”, which also happens to be the name of one of my favorite Nicolas Cage movies.
We learned last week the premise: 4 Crossfit Athletes will face off against 4 OCR athletes over the course of an afternoon on Saturday, September 28, 2019.
Today, we learned more about how all of this will go down. David Magida and Yancy Culp have been tasked with creating the programming for the day. Yancy will also serve as head referee for the event, while David will handle host and MC duties.
They both emphasized that everything currently listed is flexible, as areas they may have space limitations on the day, and/or other factors.
Event #1 – The Championship Beast Course
• The 8 competitors compete against each other in the Saturday Beast.
• Chip timing will be used, but catching/being caught counts for extra points.
• CrossFit Athletes Will Start Race 30 Minutes Before Spartan Athletes.
Additional Spartan Beast Scoring/Penalty Rules
1. CrossFit Athletes will start with 30min advantage on Spartan Beast Course.
2. If Male CrossFit athletes are caught by any Spartan competitor, they will be penalized -1 point. This includes if they are caught by a female. This penalty can only be assessed once, per CrossFit Athlete.
3. If Male Spartan Athlete catches All 3 Male CrossFit Athletes, Spartan Athlete will receive +1 bonus point.
4. If Female CrossFit Athlete is caught by Female Spartan Athlete, they will be penalized -1pt, but no bonus point will be assessed.
5. Female Crossfit Athletes are only penalized if caught by another female
6. If Female CrossFit Athlete is not caught on course, she will receive +1 bonus point.
7. If an athlete is beat by more than 1 hour by any racer (on chip time), they lose an additional -1pt
8. Failure to complete Spartan Beast = Disqualification from competition.
- Approximate start time 2:00pm local time
- Failure to complete any event will result in a -1 Point Penalty
Event #2: The Throw Down
– 12x RAM Thruster (55lbs/33lbs)
– 20m RAM Overhead Lunge
– 2x Deadball Over the shoulder (150lbs/100lbs)
– 2x Deadball Over the Wall
– 4 ft wall
– 6 foot wall
– Run back and Repeat
Event #3: Hell’s Hill
– 5x Deadball Ground to Overhead (GTO) 100lbs/70lbs
– Double Sandbag Carry – 60lbs/40lbs
*Carries (and Run To Sandbags) increase in distance each round- 25m, 50m, 75m, 100m
Event #4: The Lumberjack
– 30Deadlifts (-10x Each Round) – Men’s 225lbs, Women 155lbs
– 4x Log Flip – Men’s 400lbs, Women’s 280lbs
– 10x Log Jump Overs
Event #5: Spartan RAMpage
– 16x Spartan RAM Burpee (-2x Each Round)
– Run and low crawl with Spartan RAM
– 2x Plate drag
Point Allocation Per Event:
|1st Place||5 points||1st Place||1 points|
|2nd Place||4 points||2nd Place||0 points|
|3rd Place||3 points|
|4th Place||2 points|
|5th Place||1 point|
|6th Place||0 points|
There will be a male and female Champion plus a team award for who got the better of whom, with Crossfit versus OCR.