When : May 30, 2020 8:00 AM EST (The race clock will be set using time.gov.)
Goal: Run as many mile 5 laps as possible in 12 hours.
Where : Your personal pit space, and your choice of 5 mile laps.
Things You Will Need For This Race:
- Register for the race on RunSignUp.
- Once registered, create an account on UltraVirusRace.com with the same name/pass you use from RunSignUp. It will automatically populate your name and bib number for the race.
- Laptop or phone to be logged into The Zoom Pit Party during the race.
- A Strava account. (This software application is free).
Race Day Morning – Log in to Zoom by 7:45AM EST. No need to say or do anything. Just be there. Wave to your friends. Once the race begins, and you complete one lap, you are on the leaderboard.
After each lap, here is what is required.
- Type in the Zoom chat “Your Name, Lap #__ Complete”.
- Uploading the elapsed run time into UltraVirusRace.com where it says “Submit”
- Upload Strava link for that lap.
- Email a photo of your tracking data (watch face or running app). IMMEDIATELY after each lap to email@example.com as a backup. Subject of each email needs to be your First and Last Name and Lap Number. Example – Fuzzy Dunlop – Lap 1
You are not allowed to submit times all it once, in the middle of the day, or at the end of the race. You must enter data after each lap completed.
The Zoom Pit Party will be open for the duration of the race. Most racers found it’s a great way to stay motivated to check in visually with the race directors or their fellow racers throughout the day, but you are not required to.
If RDs have questions about your data, they may attempt to track you down during the race or while you are in the pit. You may rest as long or as short as you like between laps. You can refuel and go, or relax and take your time. Hell, you can even take a shower or do laundry. It’s up to you how much or as little as you run.
A crew member may assist runners in uploading photos and race times. Please don’t tell us that this is unfair as you don’t have a spouse/friend/pet to do it for you. It’s just like a real looped race. Some do it alone, some pack an RV full of people to help.
What Does A 5 Mile Lap Consist Of?
- A lap that you choose that is 5 miles long. Can be a 5 mile loop or an out and back. Could also be 178 circles in your backyard. As long as you start your tracking at zero and end the lap at at least 5 miles then check in. You can do the same 5 mile lap all day or mix it up every time.
- If you submit a 6 mile segment, it counts as 1 lap. If you submit a 15 mile segment, it counts as 1 lap. If you submit LESS than 5 miles, it will not count as a lap. You cannot submit ANYTHING less than 5 and have it count as a lap. 4.99 will NOT count as a lap.
- If you want to leave your pit and go or a 10 or 20 mile run, you may. As long as you reset your watch and check into the Zoom Pit Party every 5 miles along the way. If you don’t have signal where you are running, that is on you. Saying “We didn’t have signal, here is all my laps” at the end of the day won’t cut it.
- Potential Cheaters: You can not run down a 5 mile mountain, then drive back up to the start each lap . We are not rocket surgeons, but we are wise to your ways. So if it’s obvious you found a straight downhill course to go up and down like this, it won’t be counted either. The purpose of this event is to get everyone running/competing together, yet apart. Not, who can find the loophole. Final say belongs to RD. We can DQ anyone at anytime.
- Final lap must be completed AND Strava MUST be logged in by 8:00pm EST.
- Also, this is not a Western States or Boston Marathon Qualifier.
How can my friends watch?
Matt B. Davis and others providing commentary with special guests commentating throughout.
Want to get a peek of what the Zoom Pit Party felt like last time?
1st prize – 5 percent of all entry fees, divided into top 3 for men and women.
plus Tailwind Nutrition Starter Pack and perhaps more TBD.
Plus more sponsored prizes TBD, check back here for updates.
2nd prize 2nd place male and female – 1 pair of VJ Shoes – any style. Tailwind Nutrition Starter Pack. Darn Tough Socks. Rind Snacks.
3rd prize 3rd place male and female – Tailwind Nutrition Starter Pack. Darn Tough Socks. Rind Snacks.
- Are we submitting “Elapsed Time” or “Moving Time?”
If you upload data from an app rather than actual watch face, be sure to include “Elapsed Time” and not just “Moving Time”
In this photo below. The first number is 50:31, but is not actual elapsed time.
This lap time to be submitted is 55:28, in this example.
- Do I need to run the entire 12 hours to be considered a finisher? Can I start later than 8:00am EST?
No. You run as many laps as you want, at your own pace. Stop at any time. Take a shower. Keep on going. Or don’t. If you want to start later than 8:00 AM, just know you are still only limited to run until 8:00PM EST. We understand if people have work or want to sleep more in a different time zone, but the race still only ends once.
- Can I be paced? Run this with a friend?
First of all, social distancing and all that, so be mindful of gathering with anyone.
In terms of anyone running with you as a pacer, just have them register as another runner. This way it’s another “competitor” running with you. Which keeps this all in the spirit of a true race.
Your friend can choose to log the same amount of miles as you or they can quit anytime. They can also run the first 5 and the last 5, or anything in between.
Whatever the case is, you are both logging separate lap times and photos. We know running with a buddy can make the miles go by faster and can an awesome thing to do. You CAN share a screen/log in with zoom. But again, you are uploading separate times individually with their own watch/device. We can only give credit for one person per device.
- Do I have to keep my ZOOM logged in and on my computer on the entire time?
No, you can certainly log on and off or just leave it running in your “pit” if set up near a plug.
However each pit stop, you need to upload your 5 mile loop time and distance plus send the photo.
- What if ultravirusrace.com is not working?
You will still email your result photo as per the above instruction to UltraVirusRace@gmail.com. You are still responsible for getting those lap times entered into UltraVirusRace.com as soon as possible. Check back on your next lap and see if the site is working again. RDs are NOT responsible for entering your times, you are.
- Where can my friends watch? https://www.facebook.com/ObstacleMedia/live/
- When will be my shirt be sent to me? – Shirts will be mailed the Monday after the race. Let us know if it does not come within 7-10 days after that?
A final note on results and prizes: Please allow 48 hours for us to verify data. After data is verified, please allow 7-10 days for receipt of prize. Prize money will be sent by Venmo. All other prizes will be mailed.
Our race team has people place in case of controversy or disputed results. We will do our best to resolve anything that comes up as quickly as possible.
Latest posts by Matt B. Davis (see all)
- Who is Matt B Davis? - February 3, 2023
- Caitlynn Sutton – Grit Games/ Mintra Tilly – Hyrox - February 2, 2023
- Under Armour Velociti Elite Review - January 31, 2023