Norm Koch has been a familiar face at Spartan Race since 2012. Many of us encountered him at the first ever Spartan Ultra Beast in Killington, VT. in September of that year. Back then, he was one of the only full time race directors at Spartan. He was known to design courses that tested athletes in ways that surpassed their limits. He is a visionary in the realm of obstacle course design and execution.
Participants developed a love, hate relationship with his particular style of torture. In turn they birthed the battle cry , “EFF NORM!” This infamous cry became the racers mantra and echoed through courses (and Facebook) around the country.
His Spartan journey began as an early participant (and finisher) of the now defunct Death Races. He soon began working for Joe, and grew shortly thereafter into an iconic race director. He informed me yesterday that he is leaving Spartan Race.
These are his words:
So its finally happening, I will not be representing Spartan moving forward. My opinions and ideas are mine and mine alone. Muhahahah
I would like to thank most of the Spartan Staff for the opportunity to work with everyone on the team. We have had some good times. I will miss the build crews and a few of the office people. The best has been meeting all the volunteers and competitors. It’s been so cool to find so many like-minded people.
I do love seeing everyone at races no matter what the race series is. I am looking forward to being more supportive of OCR community.
• I would say I’m leaving Spartan, not OCR.
• My ideas and Spartan have changed, I feel an inability to make the changes that I wanted to due to the size of the company
• Everyone knows I’m proud of being part of Spartan since the early days and help shaped its growth over the years.
• I love Spartan and it will always be a part of me, literally my calf tattoo is representative of my Death Race participation – The good old days.
• This is not me leaving the sport moreover me looking to do something new.
• I would love to do something like designing courses for existing series and working with their brands to offer signature courses,
Starting a new series where I have complete creative control over the process is my goal. Any investors feel free to hit me up…. hahahaha.
Latest posts by Matt B. Davis (see all)
- Who is Matt B Davis? - February 3, 2023
- Caitlynn Sutton – Grit Games/ Mintra Tilly – Hyrox - February 2, 2023
- Under Armour Velociti Elite Review - January 31, 2023