The majority of shoes I own are trail shoes. Despite living in the city and many of my weekly runs being on the road, I have been struggling to find a street shoe that I love. I run 4-5 times a week, and if I don’t love it, I don’t want to wear it. I have been looking for a new street-legal shoe for months. I had never worn any shoes by Under Armour and only knew them for cold weather gear I had worn during obstacle races. These shoes were launched in June and I was able to get a pair in December.
Under Armour Velociti Elite Features
Super Light – There is no rubber in the outsole as found in most shoes, so the shoe comes in at an airy 7.5 oz (212.6 g).
Comfy Upper – Their marketing speak says “UA Warp is a groundbreaking upper that molds perfectly to the human form to unlock performance. It features supporting tapes that act like seatbelts on the foot, placed precisely where our biomechanists found them to be most helpful for a runner.”
It’s a fancy way of saying “The shoe is comfy as hell.”
Thinner Carbon Plate – Much more forgiving and flexible than other carbon plates I have tested.
So light, they are translucent.
Under Armour Velociti Elite Usage
I wanted to be sure to give these things a real workout before the write-up. As of this writing, I have run 85 miles. This has been almost solely on concrete. There was occasional light trail and gravel as some of my favorite local routes have those as well. One day, I was with a friend, and we went on some slightly rained trails.
Under Armour Velociti Elite Pros and Cons
- Very light. Very fast.
- Plenty of room in the toe box at true to size.
- Foam outsole. Truly enjoy the feel of foam over normal rubber on the streets.
- They are not made for off-road. Do NOT wear these shoes on any wet trail. My ankles were frequently bending on the one attempt that I made. You may be saying “Well dummy, these are street shoes, why would you expect any different?” Occasionally, you meet a friend to run, and suddenly he turns left and goes onto some trail.
- If you aren’t a fan of white shoes, that’s the color they come in for now.
Under Armour Velociti Elite Conclusion
As I mentioned earlier, if I don’t love a pair of shoes, I don’t want to wear them, and I love these shoes. Just as the Hoka Speedgoat is my go-to trail shoe, and VJ Xtrm is the only shoe I’ll wear at obstacle races, I will def keep coming back to Under Armour Velcoti Elite.
Spoiler Alert: Cooks taste your food. Running shoes get dirty.
Matt B. Davis
Latest posts by Matt B. Davis (see all)
- Savage Georgia Spring 2023 - March 29, 2023
- OCR Weekly Show – March 27, 2023 - March 27, 2023
- Spartan Race Georgia Trifecta Weekend 2023 - March 22, 2023