As much as I loved the Hoka Evo Jawz and the Hoka Challenger ATR 2, it is a mystery to me why I took so long to finally get a pair of Speedgoats. I had heard so many good things about them from friends, but I suppose the focus has been OCR shoes with massive lugs for deep mud like the VJUSA Family or the Inov8 MudClaw.
However, I often run on regular trails and streets near home, and need something that can handle a lot of miles.
Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 Features
Mesh Upper – Makes upper more breathable than previous version.
Wider Forefoot and Toebox– For those that need a wider shoe.
The Meta Rocker Style- A reason runners typically buy this brand of shoe. From the Hoka website “Meta-Rocker geometry, or wheels for your feet, drives the runner forward and complements the runner’s normal gait cycle”
Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 Usage
Took this shoes everywhere from the streets in front of my house to some of my favorite state parks. I also brought them down to Jacksonville, for the Spartan Containment Trifecta of the SpartanTrail, OCR, and DekaFit.
Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 Durability
After 300 miles, the only part that has worn down is the back corner of the heels. I am a heel striker, so that happens with all of my shoes if I am running on lots of concrete. However, the rest of the shoe is holding up fantastically. No major wear and tear damage to upper, lining, or midsoles.
After 310 miles, these shoes are dirty, but still sturdy.
Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 Pros and Cons
- Can go “both ways”. It’s a great trail shoe and lugs that can be run on street if need be.
- Width is dare I say perfect. I almost always have to go 1/2 size up in running shoes, which can often cause problems with the rest of the shoe. Got this in my “true to size” of 11 and simply love the feel.
- Balanced Cushion – Like Goldilocks said “These are jusssst right”. In the middle of the Evo Jawz and The Bondis, we get a great middle ground of cushion.
- Not ideal in super wet conditions. The Florida swaps were bad news for this shoes. However, there is a waterproof GoreTex version, I am looking to get my hands on.
Hoka One One Speedgoat 4 Conclusion
I love these shoes. They are my current favorite trail shoe and I will be ordering a new pair as soon as possible.
Latest posts by Matt B. Davis (see all)
- OCR Weekly Show – Feb. 6, 2023 - February 6, 2023
- Who is Matt B Davis? - February 3, 2023
- Caitlynn Sutton – Grit Games/ Mintra Tilly – Hyrox - February 2, 2023
No review found! Insert a valid review ID.